I, like most others, was always under the school of thought that a glass of OJ was the way to get a dense dose of vitamin C to fight colds. Boy was I wrong. There are SO many other whole-food, unprocessed vegetables and fruit with higher amounts of vitamin C then the boxed OJ.
So, knowing that Halloween was just around the corner and my kids were going to be hopped up on sugar (as much as I try and avoid it), I wanted to mix a smoothie that would help support their immune system.
- Zucchini, cauliflower, strawberries, pineapple, lemon juice, goji berries – contain vitamin C
- Spinach and almond milk / almonds – source of calcium
- Honey (and bee pollen) – immune booster
- Protein powder – added protein to help make the smoothie a complete fueling meal/breakfast
Serving 2-3 (1 adult, 2 kids)
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh almond milk
- 1 tbsp soaked almonds
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 scoop of vitamin C powder (gluten, dairy and sweetener-free)
- 1 scoop of Sunwarrior natural brown rice protein powder
Combine all in high speed blender. Enjoy!