OK, let’s be honest… store bought protein bars are crap. Most don’t taste good and if they do, it because they are loaded with lots of ‘not so good stuff’. Another alternative to my obsession with energy ‘balls’ is PROTEIN BARS. This recipe is gluten free and super easy to make and store in freezer for when you need a quick snack. Make your own almond flour by processing slivered almonds in food processor. just make sure to pulse in 20 second intervals so not to turn into almond butter 🙂
1 cup oat flour (old fashioned oat ground up)
1 cup vanilla protein powder (I use shakeology)
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1 cup natural almond butter
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Line 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- place oat flour, protein powder, almond flour, and salt in food processor; pulse to mix.
- Add almond milk; pulse for 1 minute or until mixture forms a soft dough
- press dough into prepared pan. smooth top with spatula.
- freeze, covered, for 15 minutes
- cute into sixteen square or ‘bars’ (2″x2″/each)
- drizzle melted chocolate on top of squares
- freeze for 10 minutes or until chocolate sets
- store in freezer for up to one week in airtight containers
From FIXATE recipe book — 1/2 yellow 1/2 red per bar