OK this is not 100% clean as there is brown sugar (which I’m sure could be substituted for pure maple or syrup or honey but won’t make it as fluffy) BUT this is a great alternative to regular chocolate cake. Coming off of the Halloween ‘high’, this is a perfect way for my kids to get that ‘treat’ without all the extra crap in those candy bars. Serve with a dollop of plain greek yogurt.
- 3 medium – banana
- 3/4 cup – brown or cane sugar
- 1/2 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 large – egg (vegan: sub 1 tbsp flax egg…1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water, sit for 5 min)
- 1 cu p – flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 cup – cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1 cup – chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1/8 cup mini chips – chocolate chips, semisweet
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the bananas and brown sugar until the bananas are mashed and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla, and egg. Mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 8×8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 35 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to determine doneness. Best eaten warm.
*recipe from superhealthy kids