- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. tamarind paste (or rice wine vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 2 to 4 Tbsp. water
- 12 oz. extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch (preferably GMO free)
- 8 tsp. peanut oil, divided use
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup fresh bean sprouts
- 4 medium green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. chopped peanuts
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigs
- Crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place squash on a parchment lined baking sheet. Poke squash 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 60 to 80 minutes. Cool for 20 to 30 minutes. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Scrape flesh into stringy noodles. Set aside.
- To make sauce, heat tamarind paste, fish sauce, honey and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add additional water is sauce is too tart. Set aside.
- Coat tofu in cornstarch in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat a large wok (or skillet) over high heat.
- Add 2 tsp. oil, swirling to cover surface of pan. Add tofu; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all sides of tofu are brown. Remove tofu from pan and place on a large plate. Set aside.
- Add 2 tsp. oil to pan; cook, over high heat, swirling to cover surface of pan. Add onions; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion are light golden brown. Remove from pan; place on plate with tofu. Set aside.
- Add 2 tsp. oil to pan; cook, over high heat, swirling to cover surface of pan. Add eggs; cook over medium heat. Do not stir. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath, creating a very thin omelet. When eggs are set, cut them with your spatula. Remove eggs from pan and place on plate with tofu and onions. Set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp. oil to pan, swirling to cover surface of pan. Add garlic; cook, over medium-high heat, for 1 minute.
- Add spaghetti squash, spreading squash into a single layer; cook for 30 second, stir and make another single layer. Repeat this 3 to 6 times, cooking for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until squash is warm and golden brown.
- Add sauce; mix well.
- Add bean sprouts and green onions; mix well.
- Add tofu mixture; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until well mixed and heated through.
- Transfer to a large serving platter. Top with peanuts, lime wedges, cilantro, and crushed red pepper. Serve immediately.
- If you can’t find tamarind paste you can substitute rice wine vinegar.
- Thai fish sauce is Nam Pla, but you can use another kind if you have it.
Recipe from BB Blog