The kids requested pasta so I whipped up this version of one of my fav’s… GNOCCHI. I used veggie tomato sauce, added ham and mixed steamed brocoli to healthify this traditional dish.
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter or ghee
- 1 cup clean tomato sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup finely diced ham
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Wash then prick potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high, 6 min, then flip and continue microwaving until potatoes are tender, 6 more min. When cool enough to handle, carefully peel off and discard skin. Mash potatoes well or pass through a ricer into a large bowl. It should measure about 2 cups.
- Add egg yolks to cooled potatoes. Stir in 1 cup flour and salt. Knead dough lightly in bowl. Dough should be smooth and barely sticky. Divide into 3 portions. Roll each into a rope, about 1/2 in. thick, then cut rope into 1/2-in. pieces. Set aside on a lightly floured surface.
- Drop gnocchi into a large pot of boiling water. When they float to the surface, scoop out with a slotted spoon into a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter or ghee, then toss to coat.
- Heat tomato sauce. Steam broccoli tender crisp (2-3 minutes). Mix gnocchi, sauce ham and top with steam broccoli and a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese. Optional sprinkle of red – chili flakes