Here’s a delicious homemade version of a the store bought one…
- ½ cup rolled oats (a.k.a. old-fashioned oats, gluten-free)
- ½ cup oat flour (grind rolled oats into a powder/finer texture)
- ¼ cup protein powder (I use Sun Warrior natural as it has no flavour) OR if you prefer not to use protein powder, use additional ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened organic soy milk (or any non-dairy milk of choice but non-gmo soy milk packs a bit more protein)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil, divided (tip: I use neutral tasting coconut oil so the taste doesn’t overpower the baked goods)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, divided (I use Enjoy life)
- Optional mix in, 1-2 tbsp hemp hearts for an added plant protein boost
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or rub with a little coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, oat flour, protein powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together honey, applesauce, milk, vanilla and 1 Tbsp coconut oil (melted slightly if solid).
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, then fold in half the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into the baking dish and bake 24-30 minutes or until edges begin to brown and middle looks cooked through.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. NOTE: I stick in fridge to really make sure they are cooled. I find if you cut into them too soon, they crumble.
- Once bars are cut, melt the remaining chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cooled bars.
- Eat right away or set in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Keep any uneaten bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.Nut-free, Vegan, Dairy-free
*Adapted from Mama Pea’s recipe