Do your kids love the store bought ones? Here’s a delicious homemade version of a kid favourite!
- ½ cup rolled oats (a.k.a. old-fashioned oats)
- ½ cup Scottish oats (these are finely ground oats – you can use Bob’s Red Mill – OR you can use oat flour)
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (I use Shakeology) OR if you prefer not to use protein powder, use additional ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce (or vanilla yogurt)
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened soy milk (or any milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or rub with a little oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, Scottish oats/oat flour, protein powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together honey, applesauce, milk, vanilla and 1 Tbsp coconut oil.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, then fold in half the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into the baking dish and bake 20-24 minutes or until edges begin to brown and middle looks cooked through.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Once bars are cut, melt the remaining chocolate chips with the remaining tsp coconut oil in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a small Ziploc bag, cut off a tiny tip, then swirl the melted chocolate over the cooled bars.
- Eat right away or set in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Keep any uneaten bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
*Adapted from Mama Pea’s recipe