These gorgeous bowls of brightly-colored vegetables make a summer meal that’s as nice to look at as it is to eat. Rainbow Lentil Bowl because so many colors are represented in its combination of cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, green lentils, mixed greens, and red cabbage. Top it with cheddar cheese (*substitute nutritional yeast for diary free option) and a homemade salsa for a Southwestern twist!
This bowl is a nutritional powerhouse. The colorful veggies provide an array of phytonutrients and fiber-rich, filling lentils bring the protein to a whopping 13 grams per serving. You can find pre-cooked lentils in the produce section of many supermarkets, or buy them canned, but it’s much cheaper to cook your own lentils and it takes less than 30 minutes.
This recipe yields four hearty servings and keeps well in the fridge, so it’s a great recipe for a family dinner, for your next potluck, or to try in your next meal prep.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or fresh tomato salsa)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown (or green) lentils
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry (or grape) tomatoes
- Evenly divide salad greens and red cabbage between four serving bowls.
- Place salsa, cheese, lentils, orange bell pepper, green bell pepper, and tomatoes on top of salad greens in “stripes”
Also try Rainbow smoothies for a complete rainbow party!
*Recipe from BB Blog