Happy cinco de mayo! Here’s a quick, tasty and healthified DIY Mexican inspired meal….the TACO SALAD!
Yield: 4 servings
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
1 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning Blend (mix your own using a blend of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paparika and sea salt)
¼ cup water
Nonstick cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
½ medium ripe avocado
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 dash garlic powder
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) (to taste; optional)
6 cups shredded lettuce
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until no longer pink.
3. Add taco seasoning and water; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until most water has evaporated. Remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Heat a medium nonstick skillet pan over medium high heat. Lightly coat skillet with spray. Add tortilla strips; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
5. Mash avocado in a small bowl with a fork.
6. Add lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt (if desired); mix well.
7. Divide lettuce evenly between four serving bowls. Top with turkey mixture, tomatoes, avocado mixture, and tortilla strips; serve immediately. Top with Cholula or your fav’ hot sauce.
(21 day challenge containers = 1 1/2 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1/2 Blue, 1/2 tsp)