Today at my daughters birthday party, instead of cake or pizza, I made wholewheat/oat waffles that the kids could ‘top’ with some of their items (fruit, chocolate chips, vegan gummy bears). It got me thinking that the waffle/pancake is often an easy food to ‘healthify’. Here’s the basic pancake done 6 ways:
- Add Chia seeds. First up- CHIA SEEDS! They give a little crunch, without the flavor! Your kids will just notice the pancake flavor and nothing else.
- Add Carrot. the carrot cake pancakes, add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix, then shred the carrots and add them after they go on the griddle. You can do this before of course, but it gives the kids a task to do when they sprinkle the carrots on after the batter is poured onto the griddle.
- Add Chocolate and coconut. use some mini-vegan chocolate chips, and some shaved coconut (no sugar added to these!)
- Add chocolate chip and pumpkin. For these, you must mix the pumpkin into the batter. about 3 Tablespoons of pumpkin and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Then sprinkled the chocolate chips on while the pancakes were cooking.
- Add zucchini. Mmmm.. tastes just like zucchini bread, without all the oil and sugar! add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter, and then shred the zucchini to sprinkle on after the pancakes are poured onto the griddle. Great way to get some veggies.
- Add strawberries. chop some up and add it to the batter, but then we always save extra for the top! Spread some yogurt on top to give it that creamy strawberry shortcake taste.
And of course a bit of REAL maple syrup (I’m Canadian so this is readily available). One of the best natural sweetners out there as it has a low GI as well as it has 54 antioxidants. In addition, maple syrup features high levels of zinc and manganese, keeping the heart healthy and boosting the immune system. And it tastes freakin’ good!!
What do you like to add to your pancakes?
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optionl depending your add-in)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Whisk together whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine milk egg and oil. Mix wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until most of your lumps are gone. If you need to add more milk to get the consistency you like, do this now!