My kids love nachos…probably because it’s basically chips and cheese. As much as they would like it to be, this is not something I make for them often. Here’s a recipe that solves my kiddos cravings balanced with my need to be ‘mom-healthified’. They have freshly-baked tortilla chips and are only around 258 calories per serving!
Yield: 4 servings
4 corn tortillas, cut into wedges
2 tsp. olive oil
½ medium lime
1 dash chili powder
Sea salt (to taste, optional)
½ cup cooked pinto beans, warm
4 oz cheddar (or jack) cheese, shredded
2 medium tomatoes chopped
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ medium green bell pepper, chopped
½ medium jalapeno, seeds and veins discarded, finely chopped
¼ medium avocado, chopped
4 fresh cilantro sprigs, chopped
2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat oven to 375° F.
2. Brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
3. Squeeze lime over chips. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt (if desired).
4. Arrange half of the tortilla chips in a medium baking dish. Layer with half the beans and cheese. Repeat.
5. Bake chip mixture for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts.
6. Top with tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, and yogurt.