I made this for dinner last night and it was DELICIOUS! The kids didn’t realize there wasn’t actually rice in the casserole and hubby ate 3 helpings which meant there was no left-overs for me for lunch the next day. I guess you can call that a success. The base had a nice creamy flavour giving it that true comfort food feeling without using anything from a can.
– 1 cup raw whole cashews
– 3/4 chicken stock
– 2 tsp dried thyme
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
– 3 tbsp ghee or olive oil
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 4 oz cremini mushrooms, minced
– 3 cups of riced cauliflower
– 8oz broccoli florets, roughly chopped
– 1 1/2 tsp se salt
– cracked pepper to taste
– 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Fill a bowl with boiling water and place the cashews in the water. Soak 30 min
- Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Heat remaining ghee or oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and mushrooms for 3 min. Add cauliflower, broccoli, salt and pepper and continue cooking 7-10min till veggies are tender crisp. Stir in chicken and remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place in blender with the remaining sauce ingredients until very smooth. Stir the sauce into the chicken and veggie mixture then turn the entire mixture into the casserole dish.
- Bake covered 15 min. Uncover and continue to bake for 10 min.
*Recipe from against all grain, meals made simple.