Hidden Veggie Mac and Cheese
My kids LOVE this recipe. I whip-up this super fast dinner (or lunch) when they are seeking their ‘mac and cheese’ fix. I sprinkle turmeric in the water while cooking the pasta to really give it that yellow colour the boxed versions have.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow noodles (whole wheat or rice)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese (1/4-1/2 cup) optional
- Cook elbow noodles according to package directions and drain.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1 tablespoon of flour and mix until thick and bubbly (but not burned!).
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir till it begins to bubble again. Add 1/2 cup butternut squash puree, and stir till fully smooth and mixed in. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add salt.
- Add the cooked macaroni to your thickened cheese sauce.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
*recipe from Super Healthy Kids