DIY Almond Milk
It’s easier than you think!
I try to make things from scratch when I can. Obviously life is BUSY and it’s not always possible however, the one thing that I have recently added to my weekly rotation is homemade almond milk. It’s super easy to make! I add it to my base of most of my smoothies, and the kids will drink it by itself on occasion. Here’s the steps to DIY:
- Soak 1 cup raw unsalted almonds in a bowl of filtered water overnight.
- Next day, rinse them off in strainer.
- Add 3 cups filtered water, rinsed almonds and 1-2 tsp of maple syrup (optional but I like mine with a bit of sweetness)
- Blend in high power blender for about 1-2min.
- Get yourself a nut bag. Seriously. Makes a huge difference in the smoothness of the milk. If you want similar quality to the kind you buy in stores. I bought my nut bag at my local health food store (Goodness me) but you can buy them online as well. You can reuse it over and over again.
- Strain milk through nut bag.
- Refrigerate up to 4-5 days (no preservatives so you will have to use your judgement here. I make only small batches as not to waste)
- Wash up your nut bag to reuse for next time. I know some people reuse the sentiments for baking/almond mill. I just stick mine in the compost but might try this one of these times when I get enough energy to dry it:-)
Let me know how you make out.